What can you "new"

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 27 19:40:52 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Doesn't matter what you're making, OS or not, the choice of language
> *certainly* carries repercussions throughout a project. Sure Linux is doing
> fine with C. So what? It could probably be doing a lot better with D.

It's like if you gave the Spartan Leonidas a Henry repeating rifle - he
still would have lost at Thermopylae. But there is little doubt that one
Henry repeating rifle is worth a hundred spear-chucking wicker-armored
immortals.

I've done enough code in enough languages to know that all though you
can (with enough effort) make anything work in any language, there is a
vast difference in the effort involved. D cuts down on that effort,
substantially, when compared to other languages.

As for what is a systems programming language, I regard a SPL as one
that gives convenient direct access to the hardware.