Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 03:03:54 PDT 2009

Alix Pexton wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:gqj7kh$ll$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> *shrug* For all I know it could have come from that. But one thing I
>>> do know: Chuck Jones is an animation god :)
>>
>> I attended a lecture by him once. He's also engaging and a very nice
>> man. The crowd loved him, and he deserved it.
>
> My interpretation of the phrase "Free, as in beer" is that the beer is
> free, whenever it is not your round. When it is your turn to go to the
> bar, it's everyone but you that gets free beer. In this context, "Free
> Software" is that which is produced by a community where each member
> makes a contribution in turn, either trough creating or testing, and as
> a result everyone shares the benefit.
>
> A...

I think everyone is reading too much into it. The point is simply to
distinguish between gratis and libre. There's no suitable adjective to
distinguish them in English (other than the two words themselves, which
aren't widely used), as "free" is used to mean both. Beer is a product
that is often given /gratis/, and the phrase "free beer" is used often
enough ("Sure I'll come to your
party/dinner/barbecue/your-favorite-social-event. I'm not one to turn
down free beer!") that it gets the message across quite effectively. You
could substitute any product for beer to the same end, but the meaning
wouldn't be as immediately obvious methinks.

At least, that's always been my understanding. Of course, you'd have to
ask Richard Stallman since, IIRC, it was he who first started using the
idea of free speech vs. free beer to promote Free Software.