bmp/png libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu May 14 19:53:48 PDT 2009

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.70.1242352289.13405.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:35:03PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest good up-to-date D libs or bindings for loading/saving
>> bmp
>> and png files?
>>

> I wrote a very minimal BMP class in D2 a while back. I didn't finish it
> so IIRC it only supports 24 and maybe 8 bit bitmaps, but it worked for
> what
> I needed it for - Paint can read and write those formats too.
>
> Looking at the code, oh foo, it saves but doesn't load. I have C code
> that can load 8 and 24 bit though.
>
> Probably not super useful, but it is simple, so maybe it will help.
>
> Here's a link. Includes both the D and C files. Look at the bottom of each
> file for an example main(). Other than that, there are no docs, but the
> function names should be fairly self-explanatory.
>
> http://arsdnet.net/bmpstuff.zip
>
> I didn't put a copyright notice in the files, but I release them into the
> public domain, so do whatever you want with it.
>
> With the weekend coming up, I'll hopefully have the time to go back and
> finish / improve / document that code and I'll update the zip and post
> another message to the group then if anyone is interested.
>

> Let me know if it is at all useful.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Although now that you mention it, I also have some
old C code somewhere that handles BMP (at least loading anyway, and PCX too,
in fact (remember that?) ). But I have a suspicion that
reading/understanding/adapting yours, even if it's not cleaned up, will
probably be easier than digging out and porting my old stuff :)

Also, thanks for eveyone else's advice.