OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon May 18 01:01:56 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun:

> first, typos - eclipse has a built-in spell checker so all those
> "lenght" will be underlined with an orange squiggly line.

A much better solution is to use "size" (or even "len") everywhere in D, that avoids such typos in the first place.
An IDE is useful, but it's better to improve the language first, so later you don't use the IDE to write boilerplate or fix typos.

>If we ignore this fact D will become another niche academic language that no one uses.<

Unfortunately I think the academy isn't much interested in D. So if D doesn't succeed, it will just be a dead language.
Currently there are only few things that make D better than C#4 (and F#, that is different). Note that in C#4 there are ways to generate code on the fly, this is done much less often than template programming in D, but it's doable.

>second, D needs to update its stone age compilation model copied from C++.<

Yes. Eventually Walter will need to take a look at way people write C#, and update D.
"moons" files that bundle modules, built-in bud-like functionality, DDLs and more. Things to think about.

Bye,
bearophile