"with" still sucks + removing features + adding features

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue May 19 12:47:36 PDT 2009

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
news:guu95i$2p6c$1 at digitalmars.com...

> That's mainly an American invention. In Europe, in most countries, you
> couldn't ever write .1 without everybody shouting typo!

*shrug*, I've lived in the US all my life and it's never occurred to me to
consider .1 anything but a typo (or at least laziness).

> Then we could go on (not that Andrei ever meant it, so I'm not serious
> here), and write
>
> 1.0..2.0   an all-inclusive floating range from 1.0 to 2.0
> 1.0 ..2.0   a right-inclusive floating range from 1.0 to 2.0
> 1.0.. 2.0   a left-inclusive floating range from 1.0 to 2.0
> 1.0 .. 2.0   a non-inclusive floating range from 1.0 to 2.0
>
> 1..2   an all-inclusive integer range from 1 to 2
> 1 ..2   a right-inclusive integer range from 1 to 2
> 1.. 2   a left-inclusive integer range from 1 to 2
> 1 .. 2   a non-iclusive integer range from 1 to 2
>
> (And we didn't even need the triple-dot operator!)
>
> But this would break existing code, make white-space significant, choke
> Andrei, pop Walter's ulcer, and generally be reminiscent of interpreted
> languages (read: embarrassing).

Hee hee hee :)

> (Not that whitespace isn't already significant in a way, otherwise we
> could write 1 . 2 and it would be the same thing as 1.2.)

Or "int foo" vs "intfoo".