OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

BCS none at anon.com
Tue May 19 20:49:51 PDT 2009

Hello dsimcha,

> == Quote from BCS (none at anon.com)'s article
>
>> Hello dsimcha,
>>
>>> What the heck do you need generics for when you have real templates?
>>> To me, generics seem like just a lame excuse for templates.
>>>
>> smaller object code? OTOH a good implementation will noice when I can
>> fold together several template expansions
>>
> I understand that object file bloat with templates is at least a
> theoretical concern, but come on.  For most programs, at least most of
> the ones I write, most of the memory consumption is data, and code is
> only a tiny fraction.  Does anyone have a real world use case where
> object file bloat due to templates was a significant problem *and* you
> weren't working w/ an embedded system where you couldn't use C#/Java
> anyhow?

It's not just file size, it can also cause memory and cache pressure.

But to answer your question, I don't remember exactly how big the object
files were but I've had DMD use up 700+ MB of ram. I /think/ it was kicking
out 10+MB object files.

That was running dparse with a 200 rule grammar. OTOH generics won't help
with that.