D library projects : adopting Boost license

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:01:00 PST 2009

Robert Jacques wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:08:03 -0500, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Robert Jacques wrote:
>>>  The Apache 2.0 license requires attribution. It's therefore
>>> unsuitable for a standard library. From the website FAQ:
>>> "
>>> It forbids you to:
>>> redistribute any piece of Apache-originated software without proper
>>> attribution;
>>> use any marks owned by The Apache Software Foundation in any way that
>>> might state or imply that the Foundation endorses your distribution;
>>> use any marks owned by The Apache Software Foundation in any way that
>>> might state or imply that you created the Apache software in question.
>>>  It requires you to:
>>> include a copy of the license in any redistribution you may make that
>>> includes Apache software;
>>> provide clear attribution to The Apache Software Foundation for any
>>> distributions that include Apache software.
>>> "
>>
>> excerpts from http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
>>
>> "Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object
>> form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the
>> editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications
>> represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship. For the
>> purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works
>> that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the
>> interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof.
>>
>> 4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work
>> or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
>> modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet
>> the following conditions:
>>
>>     1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative
>> Works a copy of this License; and
>>
>>     2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices
>> stating that You changed the files; and
>>
>>     3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works
>> that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution
>> notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that
>> do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
>>

>> /quote
>>
>> my understanding of the above is that using tango in your code doesn't
>> constitute as "Derivative Works". that means that _uesrs_ of Tango are
>> not required to provide attribution.
>
> First,   according to international copyright law (Berne convention),
> compiling source code creates a derivative work. (See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_License for some links)
> Second,  4.1 explicitly require you to provide the license with all
> distributions.
> Third,   Apache's FAQ, which was written by lawyers, instruct users to
> include the license/attribution.
> Finally, the linking divide, allows you link together code licensed
> [...]

Ok, I ain't a layer so let's see if I understood you correctly:

You're saying that if I write code using Tango, I can license *my* code
with whatever I want. My source will require a tango dll to work and
*that* dll must come with its apache 2.0 license file.

That sounds completely reasonable to me. I don't get what the problem
with this scheme of things.