How about Go's... error on unused imports?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat Nov 14 22:10:49 PST 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Walter Bright, el 14 de noviembre a las 14:59 me escribiste:
>> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>>> Walter Bright, el 14 de noviembre a las 10:36 me escribiste:
>>> It would be pushing to much to ask if you're willing to give it a serious
>>> thought then? =)
>> I understand it (I think), but I'm not as keen on it as you are <g>.
>>
>> Consider that D has function hijacking protection (I think this is
>> unique to D) so that inadvertent overloading by the same names in
>> different imports is virtually eliminated. So I think the marginal
>> benefit of the proposed changes is small.
>
> I can see that it would be too much trouble for too little gain (from you
> POV, I still think that readability is key for code-review, which
> I consider key for high-quality code).

It seems to me that it is a code beautifier proposal. When your code is
completely working, you many run some kind of 'beautify' step. There are
many other beautifier processes that could be run. They improve the
productivity of the maintenance guys but I think it would be a severe
nuisance to be required to use them continuously during development.