D library projects : adopting Boost license

Nick B "nick_NOSPAM_.barbalich" at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:07:02 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> I think the GNU stuff is a bit different, because the GPL is an
>> aggressive license -- the FSF intends to defend the license, taking
>> offenders to court. Legal battles are expected, and having a single
>> legal entity makes it easier to win the case.
>> By contrast, the Boost license exists solely for the benefit of the
>> users, giving them a guarantee that court cases will _not_ occur.
>> I think that throughout Boost all of the authors retain their original
>> copyright.
>

> It's true that GPL has an agenda that is not always in its users' best
> interests. The Boost license does.

The reason the that the GPL has enforcement court cases is to stop
vendors taking GPL code and trying to make it their own, without
following the requirements of the GPL.

For examples see gpl-violations

http://gpl-violations.org/

The project wants to act as information and communication platform
between all parties involved with licensing of free software:

     * authors and copyright holders
     * vendors, OEM's, VAR's
     * users

more details under the history: