Back from the dead - How is D going?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Nov 20 05:57:21 PST 2009

Thanks everyone for the links and comments. I see a lot has happened
meanwhile, and I have a lot to catch up (annotations, safety features,
concurrency changes like thread-local by default and whatnot, and other
minor things)

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel#FutureDirections
Reading this I like a lot of the minor changes coming in. Like static
arrays becoming value types. Or AAs and complex types moving from
language to library, I think its good to make the language simpler
whenever no significant amount of power or usefulness is lost (although
I guessing the powers that be only agreed to move this to the library
because now D's metaprogramming features, as well as new struct features
and others, make it more feasible to implement these types in the library).
"Remove C-style declarations" -> again, quite good, simplifying language
without any loss in power.

"Remove typedef" Hum, Im curious about this one, but I'll read the
appropriate threads later when I have the time.

I also like this blog post as well:
http://www.jfbillingsley.com/blog/?p=53

Lutger wrote:

 > Hi, welcome back!
 >
 > Here are a couple of bullet points for you, not sure what you missed and
 > what not:
 >
 > - Andrei Alexandrescu is writing (has almost completed) a book on D,
to be
 > published around before april 2010 iirc
 >
 > - Around the same time, D2 should be finished.

Interesting. Does that mean that the D's design with regards to
concurrency will be considered finished? (or that at least no major
changes are expected?) And that D's designers (Andrei & co.) are happy
with it?
I was thinking that D2 would take longer to be finished, but it is good
that it gets done soon. This way maybe we can start moving away from the
current limbo state were the core majority of libraries and tools are
pending in D1, which seems to be one of the great roadblocks at the
moment for D's growth and development.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer