thank's ddmd !

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Nov 24 19:42:22 PST 2009

Travis Boucher wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Travis Boucher
>> <boucher.travis at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have pretty much given up on D2 until it is finalized, and development
>>> focus changes from specifications to library & compiler
>>> implementation and
>>> enhancements.  I think this will be the best time (for me) to get
>>> involved
>>> in the process.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately for me (and possibly others) I got into D at a really
>>> shitty
>>> time.  The language itself is in a state of flux (at least for D2).
>>> So I am
>>> changing my own focus on application development with D1, which I am
>>> sure
>>> will be around for quite a while before D2 gets community acceptance.
>>
>> Having been around here for a few years, I have to say you don't know
>> what you're talking about.  Things are actually looking better for D
>> than they have for years.  You may find that revelation more scary
>> than inspiring but here's why I say so: End of D2 work is in sight.
>> The reference compiler can be re-built by anyone from source now.  D
>> sits atop a runtime which can be used by any library that wants to
>> participate.  Both Walter and now Don are bug-fixin' machines.  QtD is
>> usable (from what I understand).   All good stuff.
>>
>> So yeh, if you get started writing an app in D2 now you may have to
>> make some changes, but if you're only starting now, then you won't
>> have much source code that needs changing to keep up.  TDPL is due out
>> first half of next year, and there shouldn't be too many major changes
>> to D2 after that.  Furthermore, if you start writing serious D2 code
>> now, your input will have considerably more weight than someone who's
>> only looking at it on paper.
>>
>> But if you're really under tight deadline pressure or something, then
>> probably D1 (or Python, or C#) would be a better choice.
>>
>> --bb
>
> I am new to the language, so I don't know what I am talking about in a
> larger context, I can only go by my first impressions.  If my first
> impressions are "this is a bad time to get into D2", you can only
> imagine the view of people who are use to
> shiny-polished-one-click-install toolchains.

I would say rather, "we are very close to the end of the bad time to get
into D2". Right now we have a mad rush to finally fix all of the stuff
which has been put off for years. It's expected that this phase will
last for only a few more weeks in terms of the language (then the focus
will switch to the library). The stuff which goes into Andrei's book
will never change.

It's a really bad time to be porting a D2 compiler: for example, there
are significant changes in the next release. But there may only be about
three more releases before the mad rush ends.

> The perception of newcomers to a language really say alot about the
> language.  If it is more work to setup a development environment for a
> language then it is to code in the language(s) it aims to replace, then
> the language is doomed to be an enthusiast language forever.
>
> I am not saying this perception or the state of the language will stay
> as it is, I'm just trying to say that the language will not be taken
> seriously until things get organized properly and things get polished
> and shiny.

Yes. But when D2 comes out of beta at the end of the year, we'll have
made a big step forward.

It seems that D is pretty much a one man show with a small