Use of first person in a book

JMNorris nospam at nospam.com
Thu Oct 8 22:11:50 PDT 2009

I once had a student in a college course ask me if he was permited to
use the first person in a term paper.  Ugh.  I heard a rumor that the
Education  Dept. at my school would automatically give an F for the use
of "I".  Education Departments are generally the academically weakest in
any university.  "I" is better than the royal "we", and "the author" is
downright stilted.  Note that the royal "we" is still first person, just
not singular.

I regard the first person singular as a problem akin to (but less
serious than) that of passive voice:  it's nice to minimize it, but
there is no reason to be a teetotaler about it.

IIRC, K&R did not used "I", "we", or "the authors".  K&R were geniuses
(even if they indent 8 instead of 4 spaces).  There is a reason they are
so rarely matched in technical writing:  genius is a rare commodity.

JMNorris