Phobos.testing

Daniel de Kok me at nowhere.nospam
Sun Oct 11 07:39:38 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-11 14:13:22 +0200, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> said:

> On 2009-10-11 03:56:55 -0400, "Denis Koroskin" <2korden at gmail.com> said:
>
>> I submitted a few Phobos bugs to bugzilla. They are still not
>> addressed.  Having 2-3 people with write access to Phobos is clearly
>> not enough -  there is not enough human power. That's bugzilla entries
>> are left without  answers, bugs are not fixed.
>>
>> I don't submit them anymore. It just doesn't work. I see a lot of
>> quirks  in Phobos, huge performance problems (it allocates every time,
>> often  without any reason) and just typos.
>> Given a direct svn access, I could easily fix some of them, but I'm too
>>  lazy to waste my time on creating one line long patches, making
>> bugzilla  reports, etc. And what then? Waiting like 3 years until they
>> are  addressed? No, thanks.
>
> Somehow I wonder if a distributed versioning system wouldn't be better
> to encourage public participation and make it easy for maintainers to
> accept patches.

It would, systems like git make it far easier to fork/diff/merge than
Subversion. Subversion is a bit of a pain, where you end up either
having no version management except for a diff against the upstream
repository or a local subversion tree that does not have a relation
with the Phobos tree.

Of course, you could partically go distributed by using git-svn to
check out the Phobos Subversion repository.

-- Daniel