dmd support for IDEs

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 19:25:32 PDT 2009

Chad J wrote:
> Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
>> Lutger wrote:
>>> Qt used to try and look like native controls, but now it uses them
>>> directly.
>> It has pros and cons, Firefox too has the native look and feel without
>> using the native controls, so it saves on the overhead of tons of GDI
>> handles and can render the entire GUI in cairo.
>
> I actually rather dislike GTK from a user standpoint.  It doesn't mesh
> well at all on my KDE linux setup.  The file dialog is also a frequent
> source of annoyance, as it is different then everything else and seems
> to want to fight with me.  Qt is much better at these things.
>
> Too bad we can't just make programs switch between GUI backends at will ;)

I use gnome myself on Ubuntu, I don't really like KDE :)

We can make programs that switch between GUI backends, most just don't
go in that direction. Its as easy as graphics engines having GL and DX
backends for their render system.

I agree however that GTK being in C is rather annoying, C is a great
language but GUIs is one area where OOP really shines.