dmd support for IDEs

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:54:53 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:
> Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:54:25 +0200, Jacob Carlborg thusly wrote:

>>> The list of native platforms SWT supports is this:
>>>
>>> Win32
>>>    WPF (under development)
>>> AIX, FreeBSD, Linux, HP-UX, Solaris:
>>>    Motif
>>>    GTK+
>>> Mac OS X:
>>>    Carbon
>>>    Cocoa
>>> QNX Photon
>>> Pocket PC
>>>
>>> As a FLTK2, Qt 3.x, Qt 4.x, Swing, and (forked) Harmonia user I fail to
>>> see how SWT is more native than the ones I develop for. All SWT
>>> applications look weird, unthemed, and have horrible usability issues
>>> in the file open/save dialogs. DWT brings another level of cruft above
>>> the "lightweight" SWT and performs badly.
>> As a said previously SWT is more native because it uses the native GUI
>> library available on the current platform, for windows (before vista)
>> win32, osx cocoa and on linux gtk. It doesn't decide how a button should
>> look, it doesn't try do draw a button that is similar to the natives, it
>> just call the native library to draw the button.
>
> The problem is, 99% of win32 users use the win32 gui toolkit on win32,
> 99% of osx users use cocoa, but on Linux/BSD maybe about 40% use gtk+. It
> is not The native toolkit to use. I do not even have it installed on my
> system.
>
>> I don't know what you mean by "unthemed" but if you refer to that
>> applications on windows don't get the winxp look you have the same
>> problem if you create the application in c++ or c and uses win32. It's
>> caused by an older dll is loaded as default and to get the winxp look
>> you have to request it to load the newer dll with a manifest file.
>> Welcome to dlls.
>
> I mostly work on *nixen. The unthemed means that I do not have *any* gtk+
> libraries installed anywhere so it defaults to the ugly default theme. To
> me gtk+ does not have the native feel as I never see any application
> written in it. Like I said, I only use { FLTK2, Qt 3.x, Qt 4.x, Swing,
> and (forked) Harmonia}. I am sorry if you have trouble reading that.
> Whenever an application comes with its own (statically linked) gtk+ libs,
> it will look bad. I do not have any "control panel" to change the look
> and feel of the gtk+ applications.
>
>> If you have problems with the open/save dialogs in SWT either you will
>> have the same problem in other native applications because it uses the
>> native dialogs or there's a bug in SWT.
>
> Look, this is what I get on Win32:
>
> http://johnbokma.com/textpad/select-a-file-dialog.png
>
> on Linux:
>
> http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/wp-content/uploads/20050710-
> kdefilechooser.png
>
> on Java:
>
> http://www.dil.univ-mrs.fr/~garreta/docJava/tutorial/figures/uiswing/
> components/FileChooserOpenMetal.png

> [...]

I get an entirely different file dialog on win7, and my gnome dialog on
ubuntu looks nothing like the screenshot you linked.

This is the win7 dialog:
http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/Dd758094.Libraries_CommonFileDialog%28en-us,VS.85%29.png

This is close to what I have on ubuntu:
http://blogs.gnome.org/mortenw/wp-content/blogs.dir/26/files/2009/02/file-dialog2.png

I have no Qt or KDE on both my linux installs (ubuntu 9 and a cross
linux from scratch), the GUI looks smooth and works great, using the
latest gnome 2.6 libraries.

Why don't you install GTK+? You can't whine about applications built for
gnome looking ugly if you don't have gtk installed, it can live pretty
well alongside Qt, I used to do that until i switched to gnome after 2.6
was released.