Goodbye

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Oct 12 15:07:44 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Bios usually are self-written (how would the publisher know the author's
> strengths better and be able to write about it better than the author
> themself?), and the whole point of them is to make the person look good to
> help sell a book (or whatever else). They're mini-resume's: the whole point
> is for it to be a sales-sheet, so yea, of course it's going too look like
> that. What do you expect? "Author Andrei is a mediocre programmer we picked
> up off some random street in Boise."

The fact is, I recruited Andrei when I spotted him at a freeway off-ramp
holding a cardboard sign "will code for food."

> Besides, if there are any programmers who have good reason to have an big
> ego (Which I certainly haven't seen in Andrei), then Andrei would certainly
> be one of them. And that's praise Andrei *didn't* write himself ;)

When I went to the ACCU conference last spring, they had a vendor room
set up where people could sell stuff. One was a bookseller who was
selling programming books. Prominently displayed was Andrei's "Modern
C++ Design". This was published in 2001, 8 years ago. 8 years is an
ETERNITY in this business, and for a bookseller to not only keep it in
stock, but find it worthwhile to lug a box of them on his back to a
conference along with a few handpicked other books speaks volumes about
its quality.