IDE for D? Recommendations?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 00:30:12 PDT 2009

AJ wrote:
> Anyone have recommendations for which IDE to use to do an evaluation of D
> with? I don't need powerful capabilities as I'm just looking to write some
> code and get a feel for some things in D. A bundle would be great. Also, I
> think it would be fun to look at the libraries during the eval. "Eval" is
> too strong... I just wanna play around with D a little bit in my spare time.
> If I can't be up an running in less than an hour, including any reading
> necessary to get set up, I'll have to save it for another time. I definitely
> don't want to be at a commandline prompt. All
> comments/recommendations/opinions welcomed. (Thanks in advance).

I'm strange, I just use Kate and a terminal, and my little home-brewed sandboxing utils.
I've had Eclipse installed before... even tried out Descent a while back... used to use
the *Builder IDE's from Borland back in the day... but I've never, ever, really come to a
point where I just must have one.  I admit "intellisense" is nice, and it certainly came
in damn handy with Java, but I don't really miss it all that much.

Maybe someday I'll refine my sandbox and release it for people like you who just want a
quick-and-dirty working D environment to play in.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls