More PC Precision Stuff

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 07:31:28 PDT 2009

== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS at lycos.com)'s article
> dsimcha:
> > Since this is such a rare case in practice,<
> I don't think this is a so uncommon case, I use something similar for my memory
pools.

Why not dynamic arrays?  Wouldn't it make more sense to do:

class MemoryPool {
    // other stuff
    uint[] memory;

    this() {
        memory = new uint[someHugeNumber];

This would have negligible additional overhead and would allow you to change the
size of the memory pool at runtime.  I personally find that I almost never use
static arrays, either on the stack or inside heap-allocated objects because the
fact that their size is fixed at compile time is just too restrictive.  About my
only use for them is to store compile-time constants in the static data segment.