OT - Which Linux?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 2 22:49:00 PDT 2009

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:h78lf7$7av$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>>
>> Good luck! Always afraid of unfamilar territory, I first tried Linux in a
>> dual-boot setup too, several years ago. I think it took about a week
>> before I deleted the Windows partition, and I've been using Linux
>> exclusively ever since. :)
>>

> Same here! And the step looked unconceivable just a couple months earlier.
> I remember how a friend who was in the beginning stages of Linux asked me
> several times and very incredulously: "What do you mean you don't have
> Windows at all on your laptop?"

Those stories seem almost unfathomable given my experiences with it. I first
tried Linux via both RedHat and Mandrake back around 2001. Those were both
widely hailed by everyone I talked to as being extremely easy to install and
every bit as good of an everyday desktop OS as Win (although I'll grant as
much as anyone that the 9x line was garbage). I don't remember the details
very well because it's been so long, but here are some of the highlights
from that time:

- I completely lost track of the number of re-install attempts I ended up
needing to do...And then I still needed to reinstall a whole ton more.

- It took easily a couple weeks of heavy research and long work sessions to
get dual-boot working without any serious conflicts, with *either* grub or
lilo.

- The default file manager was an unbelievably bloated resource hog.

- Even the simplest tasks always took at least five times as much time and
effort as the same thing on windows. At first I thought it was just a matter
of getting used to a new system, but months later, when I had learned a lot
more about it...nothing went any more smoothly.

- Despite X/KDE/Gnome/etc and all of the "super-easy" "I set it up for
grandma" hype about RedHat and Mandrake's GUI usability, it was *rare* that
I was able to accomplish a single task without resorting to the
command-line.

- As far as the oft-touted stability, my system uptime really wasn't much
different going from windows to linux (or from win to OSX, for that matter).

- Hardly anything could be used without a full-blown manual, and for most
things the only *real* documentation (or in many cases, the *only*
documentation) was an O'Reily book...which quite blatantly contradicted 1.
all of the "it's a lot cheaper!" claims I had been hearing, and 2. all of
the "rtfm" bullshit (which in turn, also contradicted all of the "There are
lots of other users willing to help!" garbage).

- On a related note, it was surprisingly difficult to find another Linux
user who wasn't an arrogant asshole. So, so much for community and getting
help.

- At one point, I had a fully-working system. And then almost exactly two
weeks later, with nothing having changed, X decided it no longer wanted to
run. At all. Period. Great. Reinstall time. Again. The whole thing then
happened two more times before I finally ripped it out of my system and went
back to XP exclusively.

- That was all on my desktop. And that was *easy* compared to my laptop.

I didn't touch Linux again until a couple years ago, when I gave Ubuntu a
shot (but on a completely dedicated system - I am *not* messing with
dual-boot again now matter how much anyone claims it's improved...which
reminds me...people also said OSX 10.2 was *loads* better than 10.1, and
fixed all the crappiness of 10.1 (which itself was already *claimed* to work
right), so I shelled out the $100+ for it. Long story short, that's the last
time I listen to apple fans. Since then, they've fed me the same line about
10.3, and then 10.4, but by then I no longer gave a crap).

Anyway, when I *finally* gave Linux another chance a couple years ago with
Ubuntu, it was a *lot* better in nearly every way. And yet it was *still* so
much of a pain-in-the-ass, that not only was I still unwilling to switch to
it as a primary system, it ended up just gathering dust.

A few weeks ago, I did finally get the latest Ubuntu again (for a few
reasons, such as porting some libs I've been working on). And it *is*
noticably better than before. In fact, I'm starting to see signs of
improvement in areas of linux I had become convinced would *never* improve.
And yet it *still* has problems. For instance, I still can't find a file
manager I actually like (although at least they're actually *responsive*
now). And if anyone knows how to edit a system-settings text file without
dropping to the command-line and doing "sudo gedit blahfile &" (and without
having to start out with "sudo pwd" or "sudo echo" just so the "sudo gedit
&" does something useful instead of creating a background process that sits
and waits for input that'll never come from a prompt that I'll never see),
then *please*, let me know.

But...If MS continues failing to recreate WinXP (and from what I've seen,
Win7 still doesn't fit the bill. I mean, yea, it's a hell of a lot better
than Vista, but so what? That's like saying I should switch from XP to 98
just because 98's better than Me.), then I just might eventually end up
switching to linux after all. Either that or I'll still be using XP when I'm
80. And knowing me, that's entirely a possibility ;)

I hate windows (including XP, even though I find it the lesser of the
"evils"), I hate Linux, and I hate Mac...

So what OS *do* I like? PalmOS, circa "Graffiti 1". Heh. :)

I guess that was a really, *really* round-about way to say it, but my point
is: You people switched to Linux a week or so after first trying it?!?!
WTF?!?! That notion breaks my brain! ;)