Template Metaprogramming Made Easy (Huh?)

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Thu Sep 10 08:12:42 PDT 2009

Thu, 10 Sep 2009 04:18:58 -0400, #ponce thusly wrote:

>> At least the problem with many old-school developers is that even
>> though a new language is 10x more readable, 100x more flexible, 1000x
>> safer and 10000x faster to develop with, if it's 0.1% slower than C++,
>> they have no reason to use it. Well, it shouldn't be a surprise given
>> that JVM *is* a VM.
>
> So I'm a 22 yo oldschool developer.
> One reason I hate VM language is not really about speed but that you
> have few control on what the CPU do, and very few control over memory
> and cache usage. Compound value types also are often lacking (especially
> in Java).

Nowadays when everyone soon has 12-core CPUs in front of them, especially
x86-64 ones, managing each register and memory module (cache or main
memory) manually is a major pain in the ass. Why do you want to do that
in the first place? For greater speed? The problem is, your program
usually has tons of memory leaks, potential race conditions and
deadlocks, and states where is segfaults. Even if you develop for free, I
do not want to use your buggy pos. YMMV

> Also, when some part of a program is slow in C / C++ / D, most of time
> you have a way to speed it up. It may be painful but there is one.

So you are part of the efficiency is priority #1 subgroup, after all.
There is nothing wrong with that, I just happened to guess that.