How Nested Functions Work, part 2

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:50:55 PDT 2009

language_fan wrote:
> "Computer science (or computing science) is the study of the theoretical
> foundations of information and computation, and of practical techniques
> for their implementation and application in computer systems."
>
> I am not talking about getting a degree from some university. I have
> already said that you can read it all yourself if you do not like the
> pace they use to teach the same stuff. But still, it *is* computer
> science. You cannot really invent it all by yourself without studying
> existing work.

I think you forget one thing: software engineering is not exactly a science.
Being able to prove the complexity of a certain algorithm doesn't mean you
can architect a good domain model.
For example, I have two books here lying at my desk. One is Programming
language pragmatics, because I wanted to have more background on language
design (out of interest, trying to follow the discussions here...). The
other is Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture because my employer
was kind enough to organize a course on design patterns. Now the Fowler one
isn't exactly CS while PLP is. Which one do you think weights more in a
professional context?