How Nested Functions Work, part 2

language_fan foo at bar.com.invalid
Mon Sep 21 23:46:31 PDT 2009

Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:50:55 +0200, Lutger thusly wrote:

> One is Programming
> language pragmatics, because I wanted to have more background on
> language design (out of interest, trying to follow the discussions
> here...). The other is Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
> because my employer was kind enough to organize a course on design
> patterns. Now the Fowler one isn't exactly CS while PLP is. Which one do
> you think weights more in a professional context?

Both. Design patterns are useless if e.g. the best sorting algorithm you
know is the bubble sort. It is not worth the effort to always come up
with new algorithms from scratch. For instance sorting is one domain
where optimal solutions to many common problems are already known.
Another one is parsing.

To be honest, your question was a bit unfair. The programming language
pragmatics book is a introductory level book on its domain (far from the
state of the art PL books), the second one is an advanced level book
written by one of the most appreciated veterans on the industry.