IDEs and programming languages

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:00:56 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
>> I also agree with Walter about the lack of an IDE for D as powerful as
>> Visual Studio, I myself use poseidon only because of its overly simple
>> build process and simple project manager and debug in windbg. But that
>> isn't the case with most programmers who like or dislike a language
>> based on the IDE they use.
>
> I do hear over and over that without a VS workalike IDE, programmers
> just aren't interested in a language. They argue, probably with a lot of
> merit, that the productivity increase of using VS is more than the
> productivity increase of using a better language.
>
> It's clear Microsoft has hit a home run with VS.
>
> I was talking to some serious hardcore C++ programmers yesterday. One
> was a die-hard emacs user, and he admitted that he'd switched to VS and
> wasn't looking back, it was that much better. I asked him what the
> killer feature of VS was, and he said it was being able to instantly see
> every use and definition of a symbol.
>
> (With emacs he'd have to run ctags first, and even then ctags was
> inaccurate and clumsy.)

Yeah I'm also a die hard fan of VS when coding C/C++, while I don't
require many features when I write code other than a project manager,
syntax highlighter and a convenient build tool, I do use way more of its
features when I study code I didn't write myself. The ability to grep
for every reference to a given symbol from a simple click is simply
amazing for that, jumping to the declaration of a symbol is also as
useful, so is the call browser.

An IDE doesn't require a large set of features to be useful, but it
definitely needs to implement the features it has in such a convenient
way that you don't notice their presence. I myself often disable the
annoying suggestion popups in an IDE and a few other features, but thats
just me :)