The D programming language newsgroup should lift its game

Jordi jordi at rovira.cat
Fri Apr 2 21:14:38 PDT 2010

Kyle Mallory wrote:
> On 4/1/10 10:51 PM, Justin Johansson wrote:
>> Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

<snip>

> Kyle

I second all this. I understand D is not a "corporative" project backed
up by a huge marketing team or anything like that, but better managing
of its image and communication channels (in usability and appearance)
would help it a lot.

Speaking clearly:

- The D website at Digital Mars is ugly, and it contains a lot of
obsolete information (the same for Wiki4D).

- The forums access thorough web is also awful and has some bugs that
lead to posting in the wrong lists sometimes.

- The information is scattered (several webs, newsgroups, stack
overflow, ...), and because of the relatively novelty of the project and
the amount of people coming in and going out, most of the information
you find is old and unmaintained. This applies to many projects in dsource.

- and... the D logo is awful :)

Having a more professional look, and better information structure would
really help D a lot. Even if this means "removing" information or
placing it in a clearly marked "ancient/obsolete/unmaintained" category.
  Aggregating the content will make it easier for its references to
scale up in the search engines result list.

Finally about the real subject of this thread (the newsgroups): When all
this internet thing started one of the best things was freedom and
anonymity. But now i think it is one of the worst things, and for really
  focused discussion groups, having real people with real names and a
brief but real personal and professional profile can help improve the
quality of the discussion. Also, free "immediate" registration to
participate in this site is not necessary a good thing. Moderated
approval of people with "believable" profiles ("verified" would be
ideal, but not realistic) could help.

One of the best sources of discussion on game development, for example,
is "www.thechaosengine.com" site. You cannot participate in the private
part of the site unless you prove you are a game developer. The quality
of those forums are far ahead of anything else i have seen.

Also keeping an internal "prestige system" like Stack Overflow, or
Canonical's Launchpad seems a good thing.

I re-read my mail and i am surprised to be writing in favor of a
relatively closed approach and against free access and anonymity. I must
have changed a lot during the last years...

j.

...i mean...

Jordi Rovira i Bonet
Lead Graphics Programmer