Clang error recovery

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue Apr 6 11:56:26 PDT 2010

On 06/04/10 19:19, bearophile wrote:
> Few possible improvements of Dmd error messages, from that article, from your answers and from my experience:
> - A compiler switch to stop the compilation after the first or few first error messages;

I really don't like this option, if there needs to be an option for it
the compiler is doing something wrong. On posix based systems you can use:

dmd myFileWithErrors.d |& head

To replicate this if you want it, I don't know about windows.

> - Use the true Levenshtein distance to find the typing errors;

The suggestions I've received for misspelled types has been pretty good,
I'm not sure what advantage this would give. I'd agree that the proper
way to do it should be used though, particularly if it gives better
suggestions.

> - Spell checker for types too;
> - Maybe, as you suggest, changing the type to the spell checked type internally to avoid some of the later errors;

Agreed, neither of these should be too hard to add should someone feel
inclined to do so.

> - Printing less error messages, increasing their semantic density. This is not easy to do;

This would also be nice, but I think the effort required to add it is
too much for us to worry about at this stage, there are far more
important things to work on.