Patches, bottlenecks, OpenSource

Justin Spahr-Summers Justin.SpahrSummers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:11:31 PDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:41:20 -0400, bearophile
<bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Don:
>
> >And really, D doesn't need many people working on the DMD compiler.<
>
> I agree, it's like having many people working around a dead corpse trying to revive it. Better use the time to adopt gcc and llvm back-ends at their best, keeping in mind, while designing D, that there are features that those back-ends have and the dmd back-end doesn't have that it will be good to add to the language. Simple example: refusing computed gotos because they are a lot of work to implement is not a justification that holds if both gcc and llvm already
implement them and allow the front-end to just use them in a simple enough way.

> Bye,
> bearophile

I like DMD, personally, and I've liked the benchmarks that I've seen of
it (although lack of PowerPC support saddens me). GCC is a behemoth
according to anyone who's ever done any work with it, and I like DMD's
official status... even if LDC (for instance) were to become the
"official" D compiler, the D compilation is so dependent on the LLVM
system that it'd probably eventually run into issues like what Apple had
with GCC not doing what they wanted; in Apple's case, they started a new
project (clang, for those not familiar) so they could have solid control
over the codebase.

As far as computed gotos, I think Walter explains somewhere on the D
website that D should be an easy language for compiler writers to
implement. I don't know the relative implementation difficulty of
computed gotos, but I think the rationale for minimizing features
actually in the compiler itself is sound. Reduces feature creep and all
that good stuff.