Things I Learned from ACCU 2010

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 23 06:30:13 PDT 2010

Clemens wrote:
> Ah, ok. As bearophile noted, that person seems to have not much experience
> with Haskell, to put it politely. Obviously I didn't see the presentation and
> don't want to judge too harshly, but if your summary is an accurate
> representation of its take-away points, that reeks badly of intellectual
> dishonesty and FUD. See my link.
>
> Or put another way, would you like someone who has never used D before to do
> a live presentation on it and come to premature conclusions like this?

D is meant to give good results even for people who are not experts at it. If
someone wrote a straightforward D app and it gave such poor results, I'd take it
(and have taken such) as a problem that D needs to improve upon.

For example, Andrei has expended a great deal of effort on making the naive use
of stdio also the fast way.

I will send your link to Russel, I'm sure he'd be interested.

I am also interested in *why* Russel's Pi program is a bad example of Haskell
programming, it's not enough to dismiss it because Russel is not a Haskell expert.