JavaScript is the "VM" to target for D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 11:06:19 PDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 05:36:30PM +0000, retard wrote:
> It gives different kinds of flexibility. The advantage of Javascript is
> easy interfacing with the DOM, the html document and all kinds of powers
> the browser is providing.

Yeah, this came to mind only after I made the last post. The best solution
would probably be exposing the DOM objects to the child process somehow,
probably in a process similar to how browser plug-ins work.

Dynamically linking the DOM API to the application and passing opaque
pointers to and from it should do the trick, while insulating the downloaded
code from different browser implementations. Hopefully.

An alternative is interpreting Javascript through a pipe to manipulate
the webpage, but then the native code is kinda pointless.

> However, there is no cross-platform
> way of controlling this system manually on a proper abstraction level.

I don't know what you mean here... for security, there are no controls
on Javascript, you just get what the browser offers you and nothing more.
An OS level security restriction would be the same thing.