Multiple "Standard" Libraries for D?

sybrandy sybrandy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 16:30:05 PDT 2010

I know some people have been talking about adding various
classes/libraries that they are working on to Phobos, however there's a
good possibility that we make the standard library too large.  So, I'd
like to propose that instead of one huge standard library, there be
several libraries developed for different uses.

For example, Phobos could contain everything that one would need to
build other libraries easily.  E.g. pretty much everything it has now.
Another library could be a math library containing everything for large
number, matrix arithmetic, statistics, etc.  Another could be crypto
library.

Essentially, what I'm looking at is a standardized set of libraries, but
having them broken out so that when someone downloads the D compiler,
they get a minimal set vs. everything.  Also, by having everything
maintained in the same spot, it would hopefully make it easy for people
to find and download the libraries they need.  Think of something like
Perl's CPAN.

Anyway, just a thought.

Casey