Multiple "Standard" Libraries for D?

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Tue Apr 27 02:15:29 PDT 2010

I am less worried about the size than about the quality.

Replacing any part of the standard library is an act similar to changing
the language definition, so including new modules into the library
should be done with as much care as including new features into the
language.

Apart from that, however, I like the "batteries-included" approach of
e.g. Python. Crypto, math, web services and many other parts are of
sufficient general interest to be part of the standard library. However,
if the quality of any module is questionable, it should rather be left
out until it is up to shape.

A CPAN-like repository with easy-to-retrieve additional modules is
certainly interesting as well, but it does not replace an extensive
standard library that you can rely on to be there whenever you write D code.

Greetings,
Norbert