Mac OSX installer for dmd

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 00:17:02 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:
> On 2010-08-01 20:07:10 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>
>> Ideally we'd have a one-click OSX installer for dmd - a .dmg file. Is
>> someone able and willing to own this project? I think improving the
>> out-of-the-box experience is important and urgent.
>
> I agree too. That's why I made sure the D for Xcode installer installs DMD
> too, so the user doesn't have to bother about that whole mess.
> <http://michelf.com/projects/d-for-xcode/>
>
> If you download this package from Safari it'll automatically open in Mac OS
> X's standard installer program from where you can proceed with the
> installation. The installer package does not contains DMD: it downloads the
> latest version from the website during the install process. It installs DMD
> 1 and DMD 2 and makes them work both from the command line though symlink
> trickery.
>
> A nice "side effect" of using this installer is that you'll also be ready to
> use D from whithin Xcode. But you can deactivate that part by customizing
> the install and unchecking the relevant subpackages. You can install just
> DMD 2 or just DMD 1 that way too.
>
> Try it, it just works.

Looks cool. That would have been a pretty good experience were it
linked from the OSX download page.

I looked in MacPorts for a package before looking on the D site.
gdc-0.24 already has one, but dmd and ldc don't. It should be fairly
straightforward to write one
(http://guide.macports.org/#development.creating-portfile), and I'll
try to do so for dmd in the next couple days unless someone gets to it
first.