Andrei's Google Talk

Alexander Malakhov anm at programmer.net
Fri Aug 6 08:41:54 PDT 2010

Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> писал(а) в своём письме Fri, 06
Aug 2010 18:28:41 +0700:

> 2. It seems like the documentation is HTML written as ddoc.  I see $(P)
> tags, $(LI) tags, etc.   Can't we just write it as HTML?

I have had exactly same thought when I've first seen DDoc a week ago

> I think many  would feel much more comfortable that way.

I have virtually zero exp with HTML/XML, but DDocs syntax seems to be
pretty
straightforward

> It's also more supported by editors.  I forgot a closing parentheses on
> one tag, and it screwed up the entire page.  I had to find it by hand,
> whereas an HTML editor could red-flag a tag without a closing tag, or
> you could run it through an XML verifier (if it's xhtml).

Good points. And XML is not going to disappear anytime soon, so there will
always be a lot of people familiar with it, as wall as tool for it.
So I think it would be reasonable to have <tag/> syntax and HTML tags
like <B>, <I> etc.

Also, for example, what if I want to put extra ')' paren into $(D text)?
I think there is (simple) solution, but that is one more thing to learn.
In the end it's just markup language and I don't see much use in learning
more then one of them.

One reason of it I can think of: parsing speed and ambiguities (same as
with <templates>)

Anyway, when D will take over the world, they will have to change HTML
syntax to fit what everyone already knows )

--
Alexander