Andrei's Google Talk

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Thu Aug 19 00:32:56 PDT 2010

On 18/08/10 01:58, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:50:22 -0400, Justin Johansson <no at spam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/08/10 06:06, lurker wrote:
>>> Doxygen STILL doesn't support D. What does this tell?
>> It tells that C++ is crappy for software development.
>>
>> On the contrary. Time and time again I try to restart a pet project of
>> mine in D and time and time again I find myself reverting to C++.
>> This tells me, not so much that D is crappy for software development,
>> rather that D cannot cut the production code that I can currently
>> produce at less cost and *angst* than in C++.
>
> I don't know if you've posted your source of angst already, so at the
> risk of asking you to do something you've already done, can you let us

> know what aspects of D make you switch back to C++? These kinds of
> things can be very helpful in either A) guiding the D devs on where we
> should focus our attention or B) helping you use D appropriately if you
> are unaware of some features that already solve your problems.
>
> -Steve

I won't be rehashing all issues that I've commented on the past as it
is just a matter of time before some of these are resolved.
e.g. Shared objects on Linux was a show-stopper for me earlier on
but believe Walter has this on his radar now.

The main reason why I hesitate to restart my pet project in D
right now is the trouble with const and, more importantly, immutable
(this being an attractive feature of D for me at least in concept).
This issue is getting a lot of prime time in the thread
"Status of Const" so it's no point reiterating it here, suffice to
say that while the feature looks good on paper the model requires
a rework and/or bugs fixed as is being discussed in that thread
at the moment.

-- Justin