Why C++ compiles slowly

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Aug 19 12:52:25 PDT 2010

dsimcha:
> What D gets right is that you shouldn't have to be burdened with it when
> you don't need it, and the simple, clean, safe way that works most of the time
> should be the idiomatic way, but the ugly/unsafe/inconvenient way that works in
> the corner cases should be available, even if no serious effort is put into making
> it not ugly/unsafe/inconvenient.
>
> Languages like C++ and Java tend to ignore the simple, common case and force you
> to do things the hard way all the time, even when you don't need the benefits of
> doing things the hard way.  Thus, these languages are utterly useless for anything
> but huge, enterprisey projects.

When you compile a Java program the compiler is able to find and fetch the files it needs. DMD isn't able to. So Java is more handy for small projects composed of something like 10-20 files. So I don't agree with you.
(It's a feature I've asked for in my second message on the D newsgroups.)

Bye,
bearophile