[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 13:54:03 PDT 2010

== Quote from Kagamin (spam at here.lot)'s article
> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
> > Shit, just look at the
> > over-abundance of totally crappy open source software versus for-sale
> > software.
> Who cares about crap if free software is still better than for-sale?
> > For-sale software that sucks doesn't last very long.
> Lol, I use IE6 at my workplace. MS even can't get rid of it.

IE6 may suck horribly by today's standards, but let's put it in perspective.  It
was released in 2001.  The state of the art improves over time, and in the case of
web browsers it improves quickly.  It was actually a pretty decent browser for its
time.  It's just that the people using it now are stuck using it because of some
legacy crapware (that probably didn't sell well and may have been developed
in-house) that runs on it and hasn't been updated since back when people
programmed using a magnetized needle and a steady hand.

> > Crappy books don't sell, that's how capitalism works.  You seem to have a
> > very twisted view on reality.
> They sell like hell. Even Hollywood does. What can be crappier than that? And it
gets crappier every second, every sequel, and sells never drop. and they just make
more crappier crap because profit is higher when they sell crap for the price of
masterpiece.

Of course everyone thinks ~60-70% of what Hollywood puts out is crap.  The problem
is that everyone thinks that about a **different** ~60-70% because different
movies cater to different niches.  Having a single centralized "this movie is
crap" authority is how dictatorship works.  Producing movies even if only a
minority thinks they're worth watching, as long as that minority can pay enough to
make it profitable is how capitalism works.