D's greatest mistakes

dolive dolive89 at sina.com
Sun Dec 5 19:12:40 PST 2010

trollollol Wrote:

> Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:52:11 -0600, Json wrote:
>
> > bearophile wrote:
> >> Walter:

> >> It's a matter of balance.
> >
> > No it isn't.
> >
> >> If you want to design something new you need to keep yourself updated
> >> too.
> >
> > Do tell what you have created to know such.
> >
> >> Otherwise you miss new trends and
> >
> > and <reduced fee for you if you fill this in correctly>
> >
> >> you risk repeating the errors already done by other language designers.
> >
> > Walter is not a language designer.
> >
> >> This means programming a little now and then in new languages is
> >> necessary (I mean languages like C#, Scala, etc).
> >
> > That's blantant plug for yourself! It's all good. I'm not here to diss
> > you. (You type an awful lot of stuff though. Maybe you should have a
> > focus if you don't which seemingly you don't).
> >
> >>  Even a
> >> surgeon can't waste all the life just studying medicine books,
> >
> > "Even"? That sounds like you are learning while posting and that's ok,
> > but don't run for office on that, cuz I will cut you down.
> >
> >> /he doesn't study now and then, such person misses all updates and
> >> eventually becomes dangerous at the operating table.
> >
> > That is sensationalism definitive.
> >
> >>  So some
> >> intermediate solution must be adopted.
> >
> > "Throw in the towel" maybe? Quit with your lies and become honest and
> > ... yes, then what.
>
> As a computer engineer my knowledge of human sciences is quite weak, but I've noticed some simple patterns. People mostly ignore the troll posts completely, but I've found they have some value. They often follow a same pattern and get you burned if you take them too personally.
>
> Here's one possible scenario how the trolls are born. They hear/read about D, they study a bit more, see the potential in the language, maybe even try it. At some point they run into bugs / unspecified features / missing expressivity. This is the turning point.
>
> You see, the community has a lot of manpower (not really sure how to measure this, maybe using relative numbers). For example bearophile single-handedly generates work for maybe 10-50 compiler writers only via bug reports. On top of that come the feature proposals (analysing, refining, specifying, implementing these also requires maybe two orders of magnitude more manpower than is available). This is just bearophile, there are hundreds of other users with small and large issues. Simpler issued get constantly resolved with new compiler updates.
>
> The language specification is problematic. Basically, there's only one person who is allowed to dictate how the language is developed. He sometimes delegates work to Don, Andrei, ... But more often, the questions remain unanswered. There are also some other risk factors: lately I've seen that Walter saves his skin with downright lies, arrogance, and ignorance.

> [...]

If these differences can not reach an agreement very quickly and put into practice, it is estimated D language will soon die, be dissipated by the community people.

Thanks Walter, Andrei, and all of the D languages who contributed, and hope you will not be too stubborn to listen to more opinions and suggestions of the community,make D language to achieve a balance between the best.

dolive