Scripting again.

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:52:36 PST 2010

so Wrote:

> Hello!
>
> All i can see right now is the lack of compile(file, module dependencies,
> ...).
> Is it just technical limitations or is this is another religious issue?
>
> Thanks!

You add a scripting language to your program for two reasons. You want to make your program expendable after release or you want to change behavior during run time.

These goals can be achieved with dynamic linking. This would require having a compiler to the language (some language have libraries for this) and possibly other issues.

I'm of the opinion that languages like Lua/MiniD are great ways to achieve these goals as they are small efficient languages and were made specifically for embedding. I'm considering the idea of using Lua scripts as configuration files, but haven't yet put into practice to judge if it is beneficial.

I do not believe it is common to add scripting to avoid the language you are writing code in.