Please vote on std.datetime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Dec 9 18:40:29 PST 2010

On Thursday 09 December 2010 16:26:13 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Jonathan M. Davis has diligently worked on his std.datetime proposal,
> and it has been through a few review cycles in this newsgroup.
>
> It's time to vote. Please vote for or against inclusion of datetime into
> Phobos, along with your reasons.

Well, I'm obviously voting for inclusion. ;)

I wrote it. I'm not about to claim that it's perfect, but overall I like it and
think that it's quite good. Unfortunately, either most everyone likes it and has
said nothing, or they (understandably) didn't want to read it.

I would point out though, that as it stands, including std.datetime would
require including my time module as core.time (which has been discussed to some
extent with Sean, since it was pretty much his idea in the first place that some
level of integration should occur there) as well as including my unittests
module as something like std.unittests (which was reviewed here on some level,
and has definitely been improved from its initial version, but hasn't exactly had
overwhelming support). The unittest functions could be integrated privately into
std.datetime, but I think that that would be a disservice to the community at
large.

Regardless, I'm obviously for including it.

- Jonathan M Davis

P.S. The most recent code is here: http://is.gd/hYwOV