Why Ruby?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Dec 10 19:20:22 PST 2010

On 12/10/10 5:41 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Yes, haha, that "unless" part is a bit silly. :-P
>
> The interesting part comes when he talks about the testing philosophy,
> the beauty of code and the focus on the happiness of programmers.

I watched the entire talk now. Quite entertaining, but there are a few
things that don't quite sit all that well. I am in fact fairly surprised
that you found it insightful.

One is, the talk starts with this extreme syntax exegesis where the
position of literally every space and every letter matters a lot, and
how exactly one choice for each is perfect and no other. Then a large
part of the talk is dedicated to more or less successful metaphors and
comparisons centered on freedom. This to me amounts to a guy who would
want the freedom to smoke pot, but would beat his wife if she didn't
align the towels on the bathroom rack.

Now, the part about freedom is also a bit odd. The discussion is about
freedom in a system that confines _from day one_ a memory model on you
that makes a great deal of things difficult or impossible.

Andrei