Why Ruby?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Dec 11 10:52:18 PST 2010

On Saturday 11 December 2010 05:46:33 Michael Stover wrote:
> > LOL. I'd _love_ to use D at work, but so much of our code is in C++ and
> > must
>
> compile with Visual Studio that the fact that C++ doesn't integrate with D
> all
>
> that well and the fact that you have to use dmc on Windows for the C or C++
> code
>
> if you want to link it with D code make it so that it doesn't make any
> sense at
>
> all to use D at this point.
>
> Having to use the dmc compiler on windows in order to leverage legacy C++
> code while being able to move on with new D code doesn't sound like too
> much of a restriction.  Is there a similar tool that allows linking D and
> C++ on linux and mac?

When your company has a whole pile of projects in C++, many of which are
libraries which depend on other projects that you have, and most of them are set
up to be built automatically on a build server, it is _not_ trivial to use dmc.
Virtually the whole enginerring department uses C++, and they all use
Microsoft's compiler for the Windows builds. If you wanted to use dmc, you'd
pretty much have to move them _all_ over to dmc, which is _not_ going to happen.
The Linux builds use gcc, and D links with gcc on Linux, so using D on Linux
wouldn't be all that big a deal (though the interface to C++ could cause some
issues), but most of what we do supposed to be cross platform, so it's going to
have to build on Windows. So, unless it's a standalone project that doesn't
depend on any others (which isn't very likely), there's no way that I'd be able
to do it in D. If you could link D with Microsoft's compiler, or if dmc was link
campatible with Microsoft's compiler, then it could be done, but neither of
those is the case.

- Jonathan M Davis