Slides from my ACCU Silicon Valley talk

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 12 23:38:34 PST 2010

On Sunday 12 December 2010 23:20:36 bearophile wrote:
> I was away for few days and then partially busy for several more days, I am
> sorry and I will try to get up to date.
>
> Gary Whatmore:
> > Guys, I made several sockpuppet reddit accounts to mod down the two guys
> > criticising this thread.<
>
> That's worse than desiring to add some examples of D code to Wikipedia, I
> was criticized about :-)
>
> -------------------
>
> One of the comments of the Reddit thread seems a bit interesting:
>
> nullc:
> >When I first read about D I was hoping that they'd limit overloads to pure
> >functions, a substantial decrease in the maximum
> >riskyness/surprise-factor of an overload hidden operation.<
>
> Is requiring the Operator Overloading member functions to be pure a good
> idea?

Absolutely not. I don't see what that poster thought would be gained by
enforcing that, but it's _really_ easy to have useful and legitimate overloaded
operators which can't be pure. Purity has its uses, but I think that that poster
is overestimating them if they think that requiring overloaded operators to be
pure would be generally useful, let alone solve much in the way of problems.

- Jonathan M Davis