[Somewhat OT] Re: How convince computer teacher

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:12:37 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> "Justin Johansson" <noreply at jj.com> wrote in message
> news:ie5boj$24nm$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 14/12/10 01:20, Daniel Gibson wrote:

>>> So there are only enough teachers for 50% of the students, who now get a
>>> better
>>> education, while the other students don't get an education at all?
>>> Doesn't sound that great..
>>
>> You are clearly wrong in your conclusion.
>> My hypothesis is that by attracting better talent for teaching we may
>> teach for the betterment of all.
>> How you have extrapolated 50% of students for 50% of teachers if beyond
>> me.
>
> I think he meant 50% fewer teachers leads to a doubled workload for the
> remaining teachers.

Exactly.
I am assuming that most teachers workloads can't be increased much (if
it could,
there weren't as many teachers to start with, the schools won't pay
more teachers
than needed), so if 50% of the teachers are fired, about 50% of the
students can't
be taught.
Maybe class sizes could be increased a bit and the remaining teachers could
work some more - but it'd still be maybe 40% of the students that
can't be taught
and with bigger classes and more work those good teachers probably won't be that
great anymore, anyway.