emscripten

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Dec 14 04:09:01 PST 2010

Today being online matters for languages. I have found another way to (in theory) run D code on the web. An interesting (unfinished still) project named emscripten:
http://code.google.com/p/emscripten/

It translated LLVM asm (IR, I think) to JavaScript (that later may be optimized or compressed, with the Google Clojure JS compiler too). So I think it may be used with with D/LDC too. Given the performance of the recently created Crankshaft of the Chrome V8 JavaScript engine, it may be interesting. It's often 10-15 times faster than plain Python code, this means it's not fast compared to compiled languages, but it's fast enough for some usages.

Bye,
bearophile