emscripten

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 04:56:24 PST 2010

> Today being online matters for languages. I have found
> another way to (in theory) run D code on the web.

I've been running D code on the web, professionally, for almost a year now.

To toy around, I've also done C, C++, and even assembly.

How? It runs on the server, and the client browser is just a display for its
output and a source for its input.

Client side scripting sucks. It's garbage. Slow, incompatible, unreliable, and a
piece of junk platform in general - it does very little that's interesting. That's
not even getting into the language itself.

Sites that rely on it suck. They ignore the facts above, wasting my time (and
anyone else who keeps the slow crappy scripts disabled).

Now, I'm not saying "don't use it". It can do some useful things. But, don't rely
on it. If the crappiness of javascript, the language (as opposed to the browser
platform, which sucks in its own right), it seriously affecting your website, it
means you're using too much of it and/or you're using it for the wrong thing. Some
annoyance? Yeah, guaranteed. Enough to warrant switching to a different
language... yet still be locked in the browser? blargh.

Thus, anything that compiles to javascript is a failure out of the gate in my
eyes. It is guaranteed to suck and is virtually worthless anyway, even if it works
well.

Which brings me to emscripten... it most certainly does not work well! The Python
example took a couple *minutes* to load for me, and actually running some python
code took seconds each time.

Maybe a magic wand will be waved and it will magically become fast, but I doubt
it. Even so however, it's pretty worthless.