emscripten

Andrew Wiley debio264 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:40:50 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> A game that was designed to run on a 90-133MHz 16-24MB RAM machine (in
> *software* rendering mode), and was frequently able to get framerates in
> the
> hundreds on sub-500MHz machines (using hardware rendering - with the old,
> old, old 3dfx cards), manages to get *only* 30FPS in JS on a multi-GHz
> multi-core machine using what is clearly hardware rendering (on a modern
> graphics card), and I'm supposed to think that means JS is fast? If
> anything, that's *proof* of how horrid JS is - it turns a multi-GHz
> multi-core into a Pentium ~100MHz. What a joke!

The point was that while Javascript is slow, it's getting fast enough to be
useful. Yes, it's not C. It will never be. But the fact that any sort of
realtime calculations are possible in it is a breakthrough that will be
reflected in actual application code.
Javascript was not designed to be fast, and honestly, it doesn't need to be
fast to fill it's niche.

> > [HTML5, HTML5, HTML5, Chrome, HTML5, HTML5...]
>
> Yea, *eventually* HTML5 will *improve* a few things...That hardly counts as
> "The web's not a shitty platform!".

Well, there was a list of reasons why it was a shitty platform, and I showed
that it's not as shitty as it seems. Honestly, I agree that it's a shitty
platform in general, but it's also not nearly as bad as many people think it
is, and a lot of effort is going into reducing its relative shittiness.

> And what percentage of web users use Chrome? Less than 99%? Well then it
> doesn't make a damn bit of difference how great Chrome supposedly is, I'm
> not going to design my pages to require it, end of story, and I'm sure as
> hell not going to be one of those "This site best viewed with X browser"
> assholes.

Thus my explicit and repeated mentions of Opera, Firefox, and IE9 supporting
the same features. This isn't a Chrome only thing, and competition alone is
insuring that these features aren't Chrome-only. These aren't things coming
*eventually* to each browser, they're things that browser developers are
adding *now*.