emscripten

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:51:28 PST 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> that's *proof* of how horrid JS is

I often feel Google is re-discovering DOS' capabilities and going on about how
great it is. Got it in graphics and input, and files too.

HTML5 local storage is a bunch of key/item pairs. Wooo, it's like a filesystem
with only a root directory!

I wonder if it even works to store interesting data. When I was working on the
DWS/AJAX viewer (Which I still intend to finish if I get a decent break from
work... that I don't spend flamewarring on the newsgroup), I tried to get a binary
string sent down, manipulated, and finally displayed as an image.

But:

var img = new Image(binaryData); // didn't work

Some browsers supported a img.src = "data://" + encodedBinaryData, but not all of
them did, and the limit was obscenely small anyway.

I ultimately just served it from the server and referenced it via url. But I had
that option since there was a server app available... what would the local storage do?

Blargh.

> I'm sure as hell not going to be one of
> those "This site best viewed with X browser" assholes.

I might be one of those people, though I don't come out and say it, my sites do
tend to be best viewed with X browser.

But the important difference is it still *works* in Y and Z browser. It just won't
have rounded corners, etc.