[OT] Browsers (was: Re: emscripten)

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Dec 15 13:58:25 PST 2010

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 23:45:49 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> Opera's "extentions" aren't
> extensions at all but widgets that have little-to-no connection with the
> web-browsing function.

Opera 11 supposedly introduces support for real extensions, though after
browsing the extension gallery[1] I haven't noticed anything I'd want to
use. They seem to be pimped-up UserScripts, nothing which allows actually
modifying the UI (possibly a good thing - a customized Firefox looks like
a Frankenbrowser with all the toolbars and buttons). Opera has also
supported UserScripts for some time.

> I think I had some other problems as well though I
> don't remember exactly what. I posted my impressions of it on this NG,
> you
> can probably just search the NG for posts from "Sabalausky" with "opera"
> in
> the text.

Hmm, can't find anything (neither in my archives, nor on Google)... well,
considering that a few years ago someone from Opera Software said that
"The best browser in the world doesn't need extensions", I'd say that
quite a few things changed ;)

  [1]: https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/

--
Best regards,