[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 13:07:00 PST 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:39:15 -0500, Justin Johansson <noreply at jj.com>
wrote:

> Just wondering how others rate Thunderbird as a decent newsreader.
>
> My experience with Thunderbird is that it is not of a standard of
> distinction that one would hope for in 2010 coming 2011.
>
> For one thing, and perhaps this is a newsgroup server problem, but I
> doubt it, my Thunderbird client shows a number of D NG topics as being
> unread though the folder tree item for d.D shows all items as read.
>
> Aside from that issue, my experience with Thunderbird is that it is not
> particularly innovative in drawing my attention to the high-traffic
> topics apart from telling me that one-or-more responses are unread (as
> opposed to popular topics for example).
>
> Overall I think Thunderbird is a bit lame as a newsreader for this day
> and age, and, though it owes me nothing and I paid nothing for it, I do
> wonder what others think of their NG experience using Mozilla
> Thunderbird.

I tried the following newsreaders:

Outlook Express
Evolution
Thunderbird
Pan
Opera

Many of these systems had problems/features that I didn't like.  So far,
Opera has been the best fit for me.  The only thing that annoys me about
it is that my preferred browser is firefox, but it will only ever use
itself to open links.

-Steve