[OT] Mozilla Thunderbird

Christopher Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 02:28:45 PST 2010

On 12/16/10 07:39, Justin Johansson wrote:
> Just wondering how others rate Thunderbird as a decent newsreader.
>
> My experience with Thunderbird is that it is not of a standard of
> distinction that one would hope for in 2010 coming 2011.
>
> For one thing, and perhaps this is a newsgroup server problem, but I
> doubt it, my Thunderbird client shows a number of D NG topics as being
> unread though the folder tree item for d.D shows all items as read.
>
> Aside from that issue, my experience with Thunderbird is that it is not
> particularly innovative in drawing my attention to the high-traffic
> topics apart from telling me that one-or-more responses are unread (as
> opposed to popular topics for example).
>
> Overall I think Thunderbird is a bit lame as a newsreader for this day
> and age, and, though it owes me nothing and I paid nothing for it, I do
> wonder what others think of their NG experience using Mozilla Thunderbird.
>
> -- Justin

For my two cents, all I can say is that I've been using Thunderbird for
eons, and whenever I have tried another client I've either found the UI
highly unintuitive, or worse yet unintelligible, or I've found it
pushing extra features on me that I have no use for.  (The old version
of Outlook I fiddled with for a short month comes to mind.)

I really don't use it for anything other than newsgroups, so I don't
care about anything to do with advanced message formatting (that usually
isn't quite compatible with other readers anyhow, in my experience) or
with many of the side features (such as personal calendars, which I have
other more specialized programs for).

There are a couple of clients mentioned in this thread I haven't tried
before (such as Pan) so I may be giving them a shot.  But... Thunderbird
has done the job for me, and done it well, for several years.

-- Chris N-S
-- Thunderbird 3.1.7