gdc-4.5 testing

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 17 07:04:36 PST 2010

== Quote from Anders F Björklund (afb at algonet.se)'s article
> Iain Buclaw wrote:
> > I install gdc in ~/bin, because it's easier for me to handle (there is never
any need to elevate to root privileges), and there are
> > hooks in bashrc which auto-magically add it to my PATH.
> The only problem with ~/bin or ~/.local/bin is that for programs which
> are relocatable-challenged, they end up expanding it to an absolute path
> which makes harder to redistribute (i.e. having your user in it)
> Other than that it is just fine. And the packages are using /usr anyway.
> Can't ever have too many languages in there, it seems... :-P
>      --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,objc-c++,d,java,fortran,ada,lto
>  From http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=gcc.git
>       gcc-4.5.1-4.fc14.src.rpm
> --anders

Yeah, emphasis on the *for me* bit. :)

Personally you should always use your systems package software to build from
source. It's better to have everything tracked rather than wondering around the
place, IMO. But the problem with that suggestion being it assumes people are
familiar with rpm-build, dpkg-source, etc...